5S-Tool of Industrial Engineering
5S represents 5 disciplines for maintaining a visual workplace (visual controls and information systems).
These are foundational to Kaizen (continuous improvement) and a manufacturing strategy based “Lean Manufacturing” (waste removing) concepts.
5S is one of the activities that will help ensure our company’s survival.
- Sort-All unneeded tools, parts and supplies are removed from the area
- Set in Order-A place for everything and everything is in its place
- Shine-The area is cleaned as the work is performed
- Standardize-Cleaning and identification methods are consistently applied
- Sustain-5S is a habit and is continually improved
Also-Work areas are safe and free of hazardous or dangerous conditions.
1. Sort-All unneeded tools, parts and supplies are removed from the area.
2. Set in Order-A place for everything and everything is in its place.
3. Shine-The area is cleaned as the work is performed (best) and\or there is a routine to keep the work area clean.
4.Standardize-Cleaning and identification methods are consistently applied.
Departments have weekly 5S tours. Every job has duties that use Sort, Set in Order and Shine. We all have common duties to do our part to keep all areas of the plant in shape -break room, restrooms, locker area, parking lot, etc.
5. Sustain-5S is a habit and is continually improved
5S is a simple concept with powerful results. You will get additional information on 5S so that you will be well equipped. Our experience is that the more we do 5S the better the work environment becomes: cleaner, safer, more organized, the work is easier, less confusion and less stress. Use the 5S (work\home\play) -The more you use it the easier it becomes and life just gets better and better.