Activities of Industrial Engineering Department in Apparel Industry
Present techno economic scenario is marked by increasing competition in almost every sector of economy. The expectation of the customers are on the rise and manufacturers have to design, and produce well in as many variety as possible (concept of economics of scale is no more talked off) to cater to the demands of the customers. organization. Industrial Engineering is going to play a pivotal role in increasing productivity. Various industrial engineering techniques are used to analyze and improve the work method, to eliminate waste and proper allocation and utilization of resources.
Industrial engineering is a profession in which a knowledge of mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop the ways to utilize economically the materials and other natural resources and focus of nature for the benefit of mankind.
Industrial Engineers work to make things better, be they processes, products or systems
Typical focus areas include:
- Project Management
- Manufacturing, Production and Distribution
- Supply Chain Management
- Productivity, Methods and Process Engineering
- Quality Measurement and Improvement
- Program Management
- Ergonomics/Human Factors
- Technology Development and Transfer
- Strategic Planning
- Management of Change
- Financial Engineering
- Develop the detailed work breakdown structure of complex activities and form them into an integrated plan
- Provide time based schedules and resource allocations for complex plans or implementations
- Use project management techniques to perform Industrial Engineering analyses and investigations
- Conduct facility planning and facility layout development of new and revised production plants and office buildings
- Form and direct both small and large teams that work towards a defined objective, scope & deliverables
- Perform risk analysis of various project options and Outcomes.
Manufacturing, Production and Distribution
- Participate in design reviews to ensure manufacturability of the product
- Determine methods and procedures for production distribution activity
- Create documentation and work instructions for production and distribution
- Manage resources and maintain schedule requirements to meet required production and distribution schedules
- Process Optimization utilizing Simulation tools (Arena, etc)
- Facilitate and Lead process improvement teams.
Supply Chain Management
- Manage Supplier relationships
- Managing and report on company Supplier Cost / Performance Indices to management
- Audit Suppliers and ensure supplier processes and procedures are being followed
- Travel to suppliers to resolve issues
- Coordinate first article Inspections
- Work with Outsource Manufacturers to ensure product quality, delivery and cost, is maintained.
Productivity, Methods and Process Engineering
- Define proper work methods for tasks
- Define appropriate processes for work flow activities
- Define key production measures
- Define goals and data capture/analysis for key measures
- Perform root cause analysis to improve poor performing processes
- Develop appropriate incentive plans for work tasks
- Determine capacity requirements and subsequent investment options.
Quality Measurement and Improvement
- Resolve quality-related issues in all aspects of the business
- Work with design and production teams and outsource manufacturers to ensure product quality is maintained during the design and production phases
- Audit defined processes and procedures to ensure that they are being followed
- Coordinate and Facilitate 3rd Party Quality Audits
- Provide refresher training on procedures for company personnel on Quality and process-related issues, including the use of analytical tools and techniques such as SPC, Six Sigma, etc.
- Manage and resolve issues with incoming material through the Receiving process.
- Develop proposals for new programs
- Manage program/project teams to ensure program stays on schedule, on budget, and meets performance expectations
- Coordinate a matrix of team member across departments within an organization to ensure completion of project tasks.
- Ensure Human Factors Engineering is utilized in New Product Design
- Ensure Human Factors Engineering disciplines are utilized in production setup and configuration
- Ensure company Ergonomics policies are defined to minimize causes of employee injury and discomfort.
Technology Development and Transfer
- Identify basic business problems requiring analysis
- Determine if technology or process based solution best
- Characterize problem, identify prospective providers/bidders and submit requests for proposals
- Evaluate bid responses, select successful bidder(s) and establish technical feasibility
- Conduct small scale/medium scale tests to determine operational feasibility, implementation methods and training requirements
- Conduct enterprise wide implementation
- Transition support activities/responsibilities to long term business and technology owners.
- Develop long range planning models, typically 5-10 years in scope
- Model all areas affected by operation
- Identify anticipated investment in plant, capacity, network, etc
- Tie to preliminary production cost, operational cost, sales forecasts
- Develop preliminary financial impacts, including profitability and ROI.
Management of Change
- Ensure that change programs are coordinated, support one another and move along the critical path
- Create and maintain the imperative for the change, establish priorities and provide visible sponsorship for the change
- Provide the skills, knowledge, processes, organization structure and tools required to deliver the change
- Ensure that the individuals involved buy into the change, actively support it and adopt their behavior accordingly.
- Determine production costs using specific cost based methodology
- Develop budgets, forecasts for operating cost centers
- Measure actual performance vs budget goals and investigate variance
- Develop capital and expense budgets for capacity expansion
- Perform cost analysis/justification for capital and expense expenditures
- Perform make vs buy vs lease analyses.