Basic Activities and Approach of Industrial Engineering
Basic Activities of Industrial Engineering:
IE Activities as stated to American Institute of industrial engineering as follows:
- Processes (and methods) selection.
- Selection and design of tools and equipment.
- System design for planning and control of production inventory, quality, and plant maintenance and distribution.
- Cost analysis and control.
- Develop time standards and performance standards.
- Value engineering and analysis system design and install.
- Mathematical tools and statistical analysis technical.
- Performance evaluation.
- Project feasibility studies.
- Most important activities of industrial engineering are:
- Selection of assembling methods.
- Design of facilities including plant location, layout of building, machines and equipment, material handling system raw materials and finished goods storage facilities.
- Design and improvement of planning and control systems for production, inventory, quality and plant maintenance and distribution systems.
- Cost control systems.
- Development and installation of job evaluation systems.
- Installation of wage incentive schemes.
- Design and installation of value engineering and analysis system.
- Operation research.
- Organization and methods.
- Supplier selection and evaluation.
Approach of Industrial Engineering:
Industrial engineering department uses scientific approaching identifying and solving the problems .It collects factual information regarding the problem analysis the problem, prepares alternative solutions taken into account all the internal and external constraints, selects the best solution for implementation.
This stage is called problem identification .It consists of the following steps:
- Collect all details about the job, using standard recording techniques like charts, diagrams, models and templates.
- Recorded facts are subjected to critical examination using a series of questions.
- Find alternative solutions for the problem.
- Evaluate the alternatives and find the best solution.
Next the industrial engineering department makes recommendation for the implementation of the best alternatives.