Bottleneck | Bottleneck in Garment Industry
A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. The upper narrow portion of a bottle is called neck (opening side) and it is an obstruction to go to the way from large portion of a bottle through narrow portion of a neck. It is a metaphorical scene of obstruction of production sector. A garments sector is a production sector and the bottleneck used here as obstruction of normal production. In a brief the bottleneck means lost production and lost profit i.e. the lowest capacity of production.
Bottleneck in the production line
The lowest output point in the production line is called bottleneck. That is bottleneck area, where supply gathered and production goes under capacity.
Arise Of Bottleneck
There are so many reasons to arise a bottleneck in the production line and it is described bellow.
A) Bottleneck before input in line.
1) If issue is not supplied in time from M.C.D and sub-store.
2) If issue comes delay.
3) Issues serial number mistake.
4) Bundling mistake.
5) Wrong issue supply.
6) Pattern problem. Etc
B) Bottleneck in line.
- Worker selection wrong.
- Wrong works flow / sequence of works.
- Non balance allocation of elements.
- Works negligence by workers.
- Workers absenteeism.
- Machine disturbances / out of order.
- Lack of supply
- Non serial supplies forward from workers.
- Color shading
- Quality problem
- If anybody becomes sick.
Character of Bottleneck.
1) By checking counter machine: – After specific period (time to time) by checking counter machine it is easy to find out the bottleneck which counter is shown poor / lowest production.
2) By observing serial number of supplied issue: – After checking some operators if it is found that someone is sewing / working lowest serial number of issue and it not reasonable difference with others it is defined bottleneck.
3) By observing gathered supply: – Those areas are bottleneck areas where pile of supply is observed.
4) By performing cycle check: – By performing cycle check we can realize bottleneck from different of time. We can realize bottleneck at a glance by making graph and it is a best and scientific way to find out the real bottleneck.
Way of reducing bottleneck:
- To make size set sample minimum 15 to 10 days before input.
- To arrange pre- production meeting in time.
- To prepare layout sheet before input in the line.
- To check fabrics and accessories before issuing in the line.
- To submit the layout sheet to maintenance section minimum 2-3 days before for better preparation.
- To check pattern before supply in the line.
- To reduce excess works from workers.
- To select right workers for right works.
- To keep supply available in time.
- To maintain serial number.
- Reject garments should not forward.
- Supply should be forwarded after checking.
- To alert when bundling (maintain serial number)
- By improving method.
- By improving workers performance.
- By reducing sewing burst