Productivity is the ratio of output to inputs in production; it is an average measure of the efficiency of production. Efficiency of production means production’s capability to create incomes which is measured by the formula real output value minus real input value.
Productivity Improvement Techniques
(A) TECHNOLOGY BASED
1. Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), and Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems (CIMS): CAD refers to design of products, processes or systems with the help of computers. The impact of CAD on human productivity is significant for the advantages of CAD are: Read more…
Industrial Engineering: The engineering approach applied to all factors, including the human factor, involved in the production and distribution of products and services.
Now that we have arrived at a definition of Industrial Engineering, let’s talk about what things are done by an Industrial Engineer. Let’s refer to these as the scope of this job.
- Study, measure, and improve the way individuals perform their jobs.
- Design and install a better system of coordinating the jobs assigned to individuals into a group effort.
- Specify, predict, and evaluate results obtained.
From this we can, perhaps, oversimplify things for the purpose of understanding. Read more…
The daily production of clothing deals with many work orders, so it is necessary to complete scheduling. Scheduling means determining the order of carrying out jobs. Priorities can be determined on the basis of several rules:
– FIFO (first-in, first-out),
– LIFO (last-in, first-out),
– DDATE (earliest due date) – which product must be made first,
– CUSTPR (highest customer priority) – first the product for priority customers,
– SETUP (similar setup) – first the similar products which require a minimum setting of machines,
– SPT (shortest processing time) – priority for products that last for the shortest period,
– LPT (Longest Processing Time) – priority for products that last for the longest period.
Application of time and motion study and activity sampling techniques to determine the time for a qualified worker to complete a specific job at a defined level of performance. Work measurement is used in budgeting, manpower planning, scheduling, standard costing, and in designing worker incentive schemes. We can say it in another way, work measurement is the application of techniques designed to establish the time for an average worker to carry out a specified manufacturing task at a defined level of performance (to measure the time of a work for a worker). It is concerned with the length of time it takes to complete a work task assigned to a specific job . Read more…
KAIZEN is a Japanese word which consist of two terms i.e.KAI means “CHANGE” and ZEN means “GOOD”. So over all KAIZEN means “Changes done for better improvement in a management system of companies”. In simple manner KAIZEN means continuous improvement by including all members, Higher authorities, Managers, Workers and each and everyone related to it with practical implementation of ideas. Read more…