Motion Study | Principles of Motion Study
Motion study is a business efficiency technique. It is the part of method study and is one of the oldest branches of work-study. Every work consists of some motion. These motions are productively used in workplace to organize a better method of performing a job.
According to Gilbreth, “Motion study is the science of eliminating wastefulness, resulting from using unnecessary, ill directed and inefficient motion.”
Purpose of Motion Study:
The goal of motion study is to enhance work performance (quantity and quality of output) through analysis and improvement of body and hand movements. Motion study can be thought of system improvement at a micro level and is a part of human effort engineering.
In the contemporary work environment, motion study also involves reducing the ergonomic stresses associated with a job. This reduces costs (medical treatment and time lost) associated with work injuries. It may also reduce production losses associated with hiring and training replacement workers as well as rehabilitation of persons with work-related injuries.
Principle of motion study
1) Principles relating to movement of human body:
- The labor has to move his/her body with speed for performing a job. Speed of work cannot be increased without moving body properly.
- The use of two hands at a time is also important to increase the speed of work.
- Movement should be reduced for doing all necessary materials, tools, spare parts etc. has to keep very near to the hands.
- If body movement can be minimized for doing a job, then energy and time will be saved.
- Have to take rest in between works for removing the tiredness, as a result work speed will be increased and total works will be much more.
- To remove monotony, have to arrange recreation and ultimately it will give good result.
- Take care of health and have to arrange first aid that is necessary. Medicines have to keep inside the industry.
2. Principles or rules relating to work station:
- All necessary materials, tools, spare parts etc. has to keep within the range of two hands of workers at the workstation.
- Either very much needed to perform certain types of jobs, in that case works should be within the eyes range and sufficient light should be there.
- All types of input always be ready before starting the job.
- Space of workstation should be sufficient to do the job smoothly.
- Workstation should be clean with sufficient air and light be there.
3. Principles relating to tools and equipment:
- All tools and equipment have to keep within the range of worker that is near to the hands of worker.
- If necessary the hands of worker have to keep free for doing any important job, in this case the legs of worker have to used.
- Have to used automatic system or conveyors belt for carrying input from workstation to other.
- All machines and equipment have to be in order that is in good condition, as a result no time will be wasted.
4. Principles of goods transportation:
- There should be a nice device to transfer goods from one place to other or one workstation to other, better if there is fully automatic system.
- There should be nice device for receiving raw material from truck and prompt delivery finished goods into the truck.
5. Principle of time saving:
Have to study time for doing every types of job; the aim will be reduce time for doing a particular job. In this case human movements always have to be fast and the machine will be in good quality.