Basic Activities of Industrial Engineering:
IE Activities as stated to American Institute of industrial engineering as follows:
- Processes (and methods) selection.
- Selection and design of tools and equipment.
- System design for planning and control of production inventory, quality, and plant maintenance and distribution.
- Cost analysis and control.
- Develop time standards and performance standards.
- Value engineering and analysis system design and install. Read more…
Industrial Engineering: The engineering approach applied to all factors, including the human factor, involved in the production and distribution of products and services.
Now that we have arrived at a definition of Industrial Engineering, let’s talk about what things are done by an Industrial Engineer. Let’s refer to these as the scope of this job.
- Study, measure, and improve the way individuals perform their jobs.
- Design and install a better system of coordinating the jobs assigned to individuals into a group effort.
- Specify, predict, and evaluate results obtained.
From this we can, perhaps, oversimplify things for the purpose of understanding. Read more…
The daily production of clothing deals with many work orders, so it is necessary to complete scheduling. Scheduling means determining the order of carrying out jobs. Priorities can be determined on the basis of several rules:
– FIFO (first-in, first-out),
– LIFO (last-in, first-out),
– DDATE (earliest due date) – which product must be made first,
– CUSTPR (highest customer priority) – first the product for priority customers,
– SETUP (similar setup) – first the similar products which require a minimum setting of machines,
– SPT (shortest processing time) – priority for products that last for the shortest period,
– LPT (Longest Processing Time) – priority for products that last for the longest period.
Present techno economic scenario is marked by increasing competition in almost every sector of economy. The expectation of the customers are on the rise and manufacturers have to design, and produce well in as many variety as possible (concept of economics of scale is no more talked off) to cater to the demands of the customers. organization. Industrial Engineering is going to play a pivotal role in increasing productivity. Various industrial engineering techniques are used to analyze and improve the work method, to eliminate waste and proper allocation and utilization of resources. Read more…
Method study is more of a systematic approach to job design than a set of techniques. It is defined as the systematic recording and critical examination of existing and proposed methods of doing work, as a means of developing and applying easier and more effective methods and reducing costs.